Democracy is based on the majority principle. This is especially true in a country such as ours where the vast majority have been systematically denied their rights. At the same time, democracy also requires that the rights of political and other minorities be safeguarded.
Here are 3 quick and easy ways to support the Justice for Abdirahman Coalition.
1 – Become an Official Supporter
Write a letter of endorsement
You can show your support by way of a letter of endorsement. An endorsement letter indicates your support for the Coalition’s objectives and spirit.
Please use the following guidelines to craft your own letter:
- Indicate your Name, title (if any), organization (if any) and date at the top of the letter
- State the reason for your endorsement (what in particular do you support and why? These can be the Coalition’s objectives or recommendations – link to Full list of Recommendations)
- State any relevant or related work you or your organization are currently doing that align with that of the Coalition’s
- Conclude by reiterating your support and summarizing why your support matters!
See a sample letter here: link
Please send your letter of endorsement to: email@example.com with a copy to:
- Mayor Jim Watson, City of Ottawa (Jim.Watson@ottawa.ca)
- Councillor Carol Anne Meehan, Gloucester-South Nepean (Carolanne.Meehan@ottawa.ca)
- Peter Sloly, Chief of Police, Ottawa Police Service (SlolyP@ottawapolice.ca)
- Ms. Diane Deans, Chair, Ottawa Police Services Board (ChairOttawaPSB@ottawa.ca)
- Joel Harden, MPP Ottawa Centre (JHarden-CO@ndp.on.ca)
- Hon. Sylvia Jones, Ontario’s Solicitor General (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hon. Doug Downey, Ontario’s Attorney General (email@example.com)
- Hon. Doug Ford, Ontario’s Premier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Don’t have time for writing a letter? Sign our Endorsement Statement!
With just a few clicks you can quickly become an Official Supporting Partner. Use the change.org link to sign our Endorsement Statement as a private citizen or as an organization.
2 – Join our mailing list – Events, Calls to Actions and Info sharing! – By joining our mailing list you will be made aware of events and requests the Coalition sends out. You can support the Coalition’s ongoing efforts by participating in events, responding to calls for action and sharing the information on to your networks and social media.
Please email us: email@example.com to join the mailing list.
613/819 Black Hub
United Nations Person’s of African Decent (UNPAD) Push Coalition
National Council of Canadian Muslims
J’Nikira Dinqinesh Education Centre
Muslim Family Services of Ottawa
Chelby Marie Daigle, Author of the Addressing Anti-Black Racism in Ottawa Report
Ottawa Coalition To End Violence Against Women
Somerset West Community Health Centre
Ottawa Muslim Association
Britannia Woods Community House
Black Agenda Noir
Somali Centre for Family Services
Centre for Resilience and Social Development
Jo and team, Little Jo Berry’s
Ottawa Women’s March
City for All Women Initiative
The Coalition Against More Surveillance
Rev. Cheryle R.C. Hanna
Amnesty International Canada
Black Ottawa Scene
Canadian Association of Somali Lawyers (CASL)
Canadian Council of Imams
Canadian Labour Congress
Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau
Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa
Hintonburg Community Association
Muslim Student Association of Carelton Univeristy
Muslim Student Association of the University of Ottawa
Ottawa Centre NDP Electoral District Association
Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO)
Ottawa Local Immigration Partnership (OLIP)
Parkdale United Church
Sexual Assault Support Centre of Ottawa (SASC)
Somerset West Community Health Centre
Young Leaders Advisory Council (YLAC)