Democracy is based on the majority principle. This is especially true in a country such as ours where the vast majority have been systematically denied their rights. At the same time, democracy also requires that the rights of political and other minorities be safeguarded.
Here are 3 quick and easy ways to support the Justice for Abdirahman Coalition.
1 – Become an Official Supporter
Write a letter of endorsement
You can show your support by way of a letter of endorsement. An endorsement letter indicates your support for the Coalition’s objectives and spirit.
Please use the following guidelines to craft your own letter:
- Indicate your Name, title (if any), organization (if any) and date at the top of the letter
- State the reason for your endorsement (what in particular do you support and why? These can be the Coalition’s objectives or recommendations – link to Full list of Recommendations)
- State any relevant or related work you or your organization are currently doing that align with that of the Coalition’s
- Conclude by reiterating your support and summarizing why your support matters!
See a sample letter here: link
Please send your letter of endorsement to: email@example.com with a copy to:
- Mayor Jim Watson, City of Ottawa (Jim.Watson@ottawa.ca)
- Councillor David Chernushenko, Capital Ward (David.Chernushenko@Ottawa.ca)
- Councillor Catherine McKenney, Somerset Ward (Catherine.Mckenney@ottawa.ca)
- Charles Bordeleau, Chief of Police, Ottawa Police Service (BordeleauC@ottawapolice.ca)
- Councillor Eli El-Chantiry, Chair, Police Services Board (Eli.El-Chantiry@ottawa.ca)
- Yasir Naqvi, MPP Ottawa Centre (Ynaqvi.Mpp.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Don’t have time for writing a letter? Sign our Endorsement Statement!
With just a few clicks you can quickly become an Official Supporting Partner. Use the change.org link to sign our Endorsement Statement as a private citizen or as an organization.
2 – Join our mailing list – Events, Calls to Actions and Info sharing! – By joining our mailing list you will be made aware of events and requests the Coalition sends out. You can support the Coalition’s ongoing efforts by participating in events, responding to calls for action and sharing the information on to your networks and social media.
Please email us: email@example.com to join the mailing list.
3 – Email your Elected Official
The recommendations put forward by the Coalition require political will to action them. As such you can do a tremendous act of support by emailing YOUR elected official and demanding action on the recommendations. We have made this process super easy for you. Click here to quickly send your email. All you need is 30 seconds, your name and your email address!
African Canadian Legal Clinic (ACLC)
Amnesty International Canada
Black Ottawa Scene
Canadian Association of Somali Lawyers (CASL)
Canadian Council of Imams
Canadian Labour Congress
Council of Imams of Ottawa-Gatineau
Graduate Students’ Association of the University of Ottawa
Hintonburg Community Association
Muslim Student Association of Carelton Univeristy
Muslim Student Association of the University of Ottawa
Ottawa Coalition To End Violence Against Women
Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization (OCISO)
Ottawa Local Immigration Partnership (OLIP)
Ottawa Muslim Association (OMA)
Parkdale United Church
Sexual Assault Support Centre of Ottawa (SASC)
Somali Centre for Family Services
Somerset West Community Health Centre
The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM)
Young Leaders Advisory Council (YLAC)